Saturday, May 17, 2008

Prayer Cells


Our pastor has recently called our church to prayer. Specifically, he has asked us to seek out prayer partners to begin meeting together for focused prayer on Kingdom matters. My initial response to this request was two-fold: 1) I would love to take part in such a thing, and 2) I doubt that the request will be fulfilled by greater than 5% of those asked.
Tonight I was pondering my response.
In regards to #1, I have taken part in similar experiences in the past, and have found them to be quite rewarding from a spiritual and social stand point. I really desire to have some meaningful male relationships in my life right now, and the idea of meeting with like-minded men to pray and share with God's Kingdom as the focus sounds like something that would be worthwhile.
In regards to #2, there are a litany of reasons why few people would share my #1 response. My thought is that the top 2 reasons are likely time and fear of the unknown. Participating in something like this must be somewhat intimidating to someone who has never experienced it before.
If you happen to be struggling with this issue, I would tell you that if you could only participate once, you would likely see that it is worth making time for and nothing to fear.
If you have Prayer Cell experience, I would love to hear your input.

2 comments:

Green said...

I've not had too much experience in a "Prayer Cell", but I have been part of a small Men's accountability/Bible Study/Prayer group (about 7 of us) and it helped me greatly in my spiritual life. If I need prayer... I know I can count on any of these men for support at any time.
On a related note, there should be some kind of prayer group at our workplace and have often wondered why there is not one.

4xGraceRUSaved said...

For about a year or so, Jack in lab and I (with various other guys at times) met just about every weekday morning in the cafeteria to pray for the hospital, its employees, its leadership, and its patients, as well as Kingdom focused items. It was a very positive experience for me. It has been about 2 years since we disbanded.