Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Habbakuk Serves a Low Blow

A few weeks ago, I was feeling particularly down...everything in my life seemed fouled up: go to work (problems), go home (problems), turn on the computer (problems), look at bank statement (problems), turn on TV (problems), start the car (problems), look in the mirror (problems)... you get the idea.....wah wah wah.

In the morning, I was reading Habakkuk 3.

And he was talking about how awful things were gonna get for Judah... you split the earth; mountains writhed; decay crept into my bones; my legs trembled; I wait for the day of calamity to come on the nation invading us; fig tree does not bud; olive crop fails; fields produce no food; no sheep in the pen; no cattle in the stall.........things are looking bleaker and bleaker

and I was right there in it and thinking, "Oh Great! How sucky is my life that even when I'm trying to refresh myself by reading the Bible, I'm having to read about more cruddy things." And as I read, I got more disgusted and more hateful and.....and then....I read verse 18.

"And yet I will REJOICE in the Lord, and be JOYFUL in God my Savior. The Sovereign Lord is my STRENGTH....He enables me to go on..."

I don't know how that hits you, but it hit me right in the gut; kind of the way Job Chapter 1 did. This life is a gift; you only have so long to enjoy it, and if you waste most of it seeking useless treasures, you're a fool. I report this with much authority....I am the captain of all fools at times.

No comments: