Sunday, April 18, 2010

Stumbling Block

From the time we are infants, we have goals set for us and by us. We are judged, by those around us, according to how well we achieve these goals. It is usually thought that the one who achieves the most is the most successful. Is it really prideful to achieve something, and then stand back and admire your work? I think the answer is "NO!"................Unfortunately, I also think the answer is "YES!"
In Daniel 4:30-33, King Nebuchadnezzar walked into his palace and said, "Is this not The Great Babylon that I have built by my vast power to be a royal residence and to display my majestic glory?"
Although the line may be fine between being prideful and celebrating a victory, the king went well beyond the fine line. He took full credit for things achieved through him by God. He took credit not for the work, but for the power and the glory.
I haven't built any kingdoms lately, but I have had plenty of opportunities to take credit for things that God has made possible. How hollow it feels when I fail to give credit where it belongs.

No comments: