Thursday, June 28, 2007

Long Distance Race

Much of my life has been spent in a sprint. Spiritually, I've either been in a huge hurry to be God's servant or racing to please my flesh. Ultimately, I've fatigued of one or the other and then ran the race of it's counterpart. EXHAUSTING!!!! Especially for those in my life trying to keep up with me during it all.

Hebrews 12:1-13 describes the discipline that it takes to run a long race, which life is. In Alistair Begg's daily devotional today, he explores He explores Hebrews 12:2, and relates that the Holy Spirit's role is to turn our eyes from self and onto Jesus. Whereas, Satan is fully intent on us focusing on self, self, and more self.

Excerpt from the devotion: He (Satan) insinuates, "Your sins are too great for pardon; you have no faith; you do not repent enough; you will never be able to continue to the end; you do not have the joy of His children; you have such a wavering hold on Jesus."
During my sprints, Satan has been pleased with my rapid fatigue and the wavering and self-doubt that went along with it. The end result was fractured relationship between my heart and the Father.

But, check this out, there's good news. Here is some more from the devotion: Remember, therefore, it is not your hold of Christ that saves you--it is Christ; it is not your joy in Christ that saves you--it is Christ; it is not even faith in Christ, although that is the instrument--it is Christ's blood and merits.

So, whether you are riding a spiritual high sprinting hard for Jesus' sake or riding a spiritual low feeling separation from Christ and The Father, keep your eyes off of self and onto Jesus. Pray that.

If you want to read more of the devotion, here it is: Looking To Jesus

No comments: