Monday, April 30, 2007

Trading My Sorrow - Amish Style

As a result of my wife's cousin Marlene living near and spending much time with many of the Amish in an area not far from Fort Wayne, Indiana, I have recently developed a particular interest in learning about these seemingly odd people.
My previous knowledge of the Amish was much like yours probably is. My first real memory of the Amish came from a Weird Al video, "Amish Paradise." I've heard comedians make fun of their life choices such as not using automobiles, phones or modern appliances. I always assumed that these folks were just idiotic. .....I now fully believe that I am idiotic. We all are.
The Amish got it right. They are not idiotic. They are living life at a pace that is much more conducive to having real relationships with our Maker, our spouses, our families and our friends and community. What kind of relationship do you have with your community? Chances are, the answer is "What relationship?"
Prior to singing "Trading My Sorrow" last week, I shared a story that was told by Richard Blackaby in which the pastor of a church in South Africa was shot by one of his own members in the church. The gunman then killed himself. The wife of the pastor demonstrated her love for her Lord and Savior by insisting that the church family embrace, comfort and financially assist the family of the killer as they were doing to her. She traded her sorrow and pain for the joy of the Lord.
I am sure that few do not recall the shooting that took place Oct 2nd, 2006 in a one room school house in Amish Country in Lancaster, PA. The killer, Charles Roberts IV, killed 5 and injured 5 young girls 13 years of age or younger. He then killed himself.
Once again, in this modern world where we are so smart, and the Amish are so backwards (sarcasm is intended), the Amish got it right. Here is a link to how the families of the victims responded. Amish Response
And, here is a link to how the family of the killer responded in kind. Roberts Family Response
Honestly, I have no idea how I would respond if faced with the tragedy that these folks experienced. But, I do know that I fully believe that the way they responded served God, the Roberts family, the victims, the survivors and themselves in the most positive way. That is a true living breathing example of living by faith. The actions of those fine people spoke volumes more regarding God's love, God's mercy, God's strength and Christ's ability to heal than any book or sermon ever could present.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great story. I definately always assumed they were just backward. I admit they have some stranger practices, but as long as they do everything to serve God who am I to question? We should all learn a great lesson in this. Whether we're reacting from such a terrible tragedy as this or we're stuck in a fender bender or waiting in a long line at the grocery store, we should use this in everything we do. We should remember that every second is a time we could be sharing the gospel or just being an example. People are always watching!